7/06/2013

Gerties blouse and capris aka Butterick 5895


After seeing Rochelle's version of this pattern I knew I had to get it and have a go myself. I was in need of some capris for the summer as I only own a pair of boring black ones. I found a dusky pink stretch denim at my local fabric shop and decided to make up my first pair of capris in that fabric and the blouse in a red gingham. 


There isn't too much to say about the pattern. The capris are super easy and quick to whip up. If you are scared of making trousers/pants, try these first. They are only front and back piece plus waistband, so even if you have fitting issues for some reason there are only very few pieces to wrestle with. As Rochelle mentioned in her blog post about this pattern, sizing comes up huge due to too much ease so be aware of that. I cut a smaller size against the sizing chart and went with the finished measurements on the pattern pieces instead to avoid having to fit MC Hammer pants to capri size. Worked a treat, no adjustments were necessary. 


The top is relatively straight forward, too. Some might find the collar a little fiddly but once you have figured that out you'll be knocking load of them up as it's such a nice little cropped top. I don't usually go for cropped anything but with high waisted trousers, skirts or of course on the beach this isn't too belly bearing. 

matchy matchy details

silly pose, had to be done....

I will be making more tops from this pattern, probably in more gingham. I need more gingham in my life. I think it will be super cute with shorts to make a little playsuit, don't you think?


another good hair day, adorned with handmade hair flowers and handmade headband

26 comments:

  1. Great outfit! Wonderful for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm sure this will be a wardrobe staple.

      Delete
  2. FAB outfit, you look ace! I've just cut out the Capri pants today and am also planning a gingham version of the blouse! Will take your advice re sizing too, thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good luck with your project. You will not regret making it. I hope you will share pictures of it somewhere??

      Delete
    2. Just finished the trousers, they're here: http://handmadejane.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/stretch-denim-capri-pants.html
      Gingham shirt next! x

      Delete
  3. Love this! I too am new to sewing and I love vintage pants. So I WILL be getting this pattern. I'll keep that in mind for finished measurements. I'm in between a size 20 on top and 22 on bottom. So I think with so much I should be able to get away with making a size 20 for the bottom as well as the top.

    The Fictionista
    {Sean-mackenzie.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't often buy modern patters as I'm always disappointed that they turn out the twing size if you go by size chart. I'm glad I read Rochelle's review first and avoided dissappointment. Especially when using stretch material for the capris.... Good luck with seeing your version!!!

      Delete
  4. You are a BABE in that outfit!! It's perfect for you! And you are having a KILLER hair day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nettie, I'm very much into experimenting with hair at the moment. Especially in the heat, it's nice to have it out of the way AND looking cute, win-win!

      Delete
  5. Your outfit turned out so adorable I love how you styled it, with the heart sunglasses and hair flowers! Great job! Good photos also, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cherie. I'm really into styling my hair in fun ways lately.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh SO CUTE!!!! They look amazing. I love the colors you chose and the matching pocket lining. The shirt is also adorable and I'm going to have to make one for myself! Now you've inspired me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I got to return the inspiration. Can't wait to see yours, Rochelle. Xx

      Delete
  7. absolutely adorable!! I love how it all comes together. especially the pocket details

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great :) Word of warning on the trousers: IF you go by the finished measurements- there is NO EASE, so don't try to go a smaller size if your waist is say a 1/2" bigger than one and a 1/2" smaller than the other. Yes, I did this. *sigh*.
    I did lose enough weight to squeeze into them, but I am not comfy sitting in them LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a stretch denim which obviously gives. I haven't tried a non stretch fabric yet as I think they need to have a little give, being such a fitted design. But you are right, without the negative ease of a stretch fabric you probably want to be careful with the sizing.

      Delete
    2. It was stretch... I could squeeze in after all ;)

      Delete
  9. So cute! I think I made my top a size too small and its all weird looking and fitting hah doh

    ReplyDelete