7/02/2010

8 Questions

A few days ago, the lovely Sassy Lassie from Sassie Lassies Vintage Life send me 8 questions to answer on my blog. Thank you Lassie for taking such an interest. I am more than happy to answer all of them. I hope it's not going to be too boring.

1) What outfit from a movie would you love to re-create? My husband answered that question with Darth Vader but I think I'd rather recreate something a bit more delicate. There are a lot of outfits I would love to re-create but I am not sure if I will ever get around to doing so. This might be a good idea for a challenge some time. I think I would like to recreate the a lot of Rita Hayworth's costumes from various movies. I love her. If I had to pick one right now I'd chose the black dress from Gilda.




2) Tell us about your sewing spot/room. What is your favorite thing about it?
I posted about my sewing room before. I just love everything about it, especially the fact that it is entirely dedicated to my hobby/mini business. My favourite thing about it is my assistant seamstress cat Jenny who snoozes away while I am creating my little tops, skirts and dresses.

3) Where did you learn to sew? Who taught you?
My first sewing projects were all sorts of clothes and home furnishings for my Barbie dolls. My mum and mainly my grandma taught me the basics. I had a children's sewing machine which I barely used and a kids sewing book with little projects that I loved to make. In my later years in school I was mainly into re- fashioning clothes I already had or found on flea markets. Then I completely stopped making things for many years. I did the odd crochet projects (usually scarfs) but that was it. I finally re-discovered sewing after I finished my studies and got really into it after moving to Colchester. I was working freelance from home at the time and since I didn't know anyone here and didn't get to meet anyone working from home so I spend my free time sewing. When I started working in the bridal shop (I gave up freelance work from home because I prefer working with people around me) I met my friend Julie who is into modern millinery and we decided to start Butterflies and Hurricanes which took sewing to another level. Now I sew for myself and to sell at vintage fairs.
4) If you could have dinner with one person from the past, who would it be? That's a difficult one for me. The list is long but if it was dinner tonight I would really like to dine with Coco Chanel. I need some inspiration and she inspires me a lot. So does Karl Lagerfeld but I hope he stays around for a lot longer. I'd ask him to join me and Coco for desert.

5) What/Who inspires you? A bunch of things. Old movies and movie stars, pin ups, other sewing blogs, French Haute Couture (not that I can ever make anything like it but I am mesmerized by the collections by Dior, Chanel etc. I always loved Valentino as well but now he's retired I lost interest a bit. I am also inspired by travelling and generally interesting people in the street. Every now and then I spend a day in London with Julie browsing through Harrods, Harvey Nichols and Selfridges to see what's out there.

6) What will always make you laugh? My husband. He never fails to make me laugh. He's great!!!

7) What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? Mint chocolate chip and pretty much anything by Ben and Jerry's

8) What is something you would like us to know about you that you have never shared on your blog?
Um, I don't know. If I wanted to share it I would have done it by now I think.

I hope this didn't send you snoozing away. Thanks Sassie Lassie.
I think I'll pass this list of questions on to Andrea, Molly, Zoe, Tasia and the slapdash sewist

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading your answers. Thanks so much for participating. xxoo

    ReplyDelete